24 Hour Tracked Delivery Options
Item added to your cart
Stone island, ghost piece o-ventile jacket.
Couldn't load pickup availability
O-Ventile Ghost Piece jacket by Stone Island crafted from the finest 100% organic cotton. The monochromatic jacket features a classic collar, full button closure, two large patch hand pockets & the iconic Ghost badge to the left sleeve.
- 100% Cotton
- Classic Collar With Snap To Adjust To Stand
- Full Button Closure
- Adjustable Cuffs
- Two Large Patch Hand Pockets With Button Closure
- Removable Ghost Logo Patch To Left Sleeve
- Brand Stone Island
- Color Black
- Choosing a selection results in a full page refresh.
- united_kingdom">United Kingdom
We got you covered. Don’t miss out on the latest news by signing up for our newsletters.
Download Our App
- dark_mode" data-event-name="menu_navigation" data-custom-event="null" class="dark-mode icon-type d-none d-lg-flex nav-item">
- sign_up">Sign Up
- search" data-event-name="menu_navigation" data-custom-event="null">
- Food & Beverage
- Tech & Gadgets
- Brand Ranking
- Brand Directory
Stone Island Introduces Discreet "Ghost Pieces" for FW22
Featuring special monochrome badges..
Italian functional wear imprint, Stone Island , continues its new specialized Fall/Winter 2022 offerings with a new Ghost Pieces capsule. Derived from the idea of camouflage, the pieces are completely monochromatic, easily blending into the urban bustle. For the collection, Stone Island’s definitive badges have been created in a special incognito finish to seamlessly merge with the garments.
New silhouettes include field jackets, overshirts, military smocks, Bermuda shorts, and bottoms made with 100 percent organic, weatherproof, and breathable O-VENTILE® fabrics — a staple cotton fiber from the brand. Knitted items bear a military design and consist of seven-gauge cashmere while fleece pieces are dressed in dense cotton jersey. Highlighting the assortment are Anorak jackets featuring thermo-taped seams, hidden zip accents, raglan sleeves, and a contoured drawstring hood.
What to Read Next
Stone Island Continues to Explore Its “Ghost Pieces” Concept for FW23
Stone Island Readies FW23 Hand Colouring Drop
Stone Island Unveils Its STELLINA FW23 Jackets
Stone Island Reveals Closer Look at FW23 With New Video
Google Maps Users In Europe Can Now Search For the Most Eco-Friendly Route
Rockstar Games Hints at End of 'Grand Theft Auto V' as Work on 'GTA VI' Begins
Mercedes-Benz Details 120 Years of Its History in Grille Design
Rick Owens Explores Kinks With FW22 "URINAL" Rotten Crew Sweater Vest
AURALEE x New Balance 2002R Collab Receives Release Date
Prime 1 Studio Materializes 'Batman Beyond' 1:3 Statue Based on Will Sliney's Concept Art
Denim Tears x Stüssy x Our Legacy Collaboration Pushes the Parameters of Style
Lucas Ossendrijver's THEORY Project Capsule Updates Traditions for City Living
Eminem and 50 Cent Deliver Visualizer for “Is This Love (’09)”
Nike Dunk Low Surfaces in "Pink Teddy Bear" Colorway
Looks like you’re using an ad-blocker
We charge advertisers instead of our readers. Support us by whitelisting our site.
Already whitelisted us? Refresh page
How to Whitelist Us
- Click the AdBlock icon in the browser extension area in the upper right-hand corner.
- Under “ Pause on this site ” click “ Always ”.
- Refresh the page or click the button below to continue.
- Click the AdBlock Plus icon in the browser extension area in the upper right-hand corner.
- “ Block ads on – This website ” switch off the toggle to turn it from blue to gray.
- Click the AdBlocker Ultimate icon in the browser extension area in the upper right-hand corner.
- Switch off the toggle to turn it from “ Enabled on this site ” to “ Disabled on this site ”.
- Click the Ghostery icon in the browser extension area in the upper right-hand corner.
- Click on the “ Ad-Blocking ” button at the bottom. It will turn gray and the text above will go from “ON” to “ OFF ”.
- Click the UBlock Origin icon in the browser extension area in the upper right-hand corner.
- Click on the large blue power icon at the top.
- When it turns gray, click the refresh icon that has appeared next to it or click the button below to continue.
- Click the icon of the ad-blocker extension installed on your browser. You’ll usually find this icon in the upper right-hand corner of your screen. You may have more than one ad-blocker installed.
- Follow the instructions for disabling the ad blocker on the site you’re viewing. You may have to select a menu option or click a button.
Dwyane Wade Returns for Versace Ad: Frames of Character
Casual Wear for Men: A Guide to Simple Outfits That Inspire
The Best Spring Colognes: From Citrus Zest to Woody Depths
Oliver Peoples Spring 2024 Campaign: Facing West
Modern camouflage: stone island ghost pieces collection.
Published February 8, 2023
Updated April 29, 2023
Stone Island unveils its latest collection, the spring-summer 2023 Ghost Pieces , showcasing monochromatic essentials in beige, military green, and black. The “Ghost Garments” take on the theme of camouflage, even featuring a specially designed mono-color Stone Island badge. The collection boasts various styles, ranging from ribbed knitwear and long-sleeved polos to sleek single-breasted coats and trendy joggers.
Stone Island Spring/Summer 2023 Ghost Pieces Collection
The Ghost Pieces collection from Stone Island showcases premium materials and expert craftsmanship. The range consists of O-Ventile®, an organic fabric crafted from the finest long-staple cotton fiber. This fabric offers more than just a stylish look; it provides a natural all-weather barrier that protects the wearer from the elements.
The fiber’s dense weaving and swelling properties make Ventile® a unique choice for outerwear and Bermuda shorts. The result is a collection that looks great and provides a level of comfort—with its exceptional performance and timeless style.
Stone Island Spring/Summer 2023 Ghost Garments
- Fashion Label : Stone Island
Massimo Dutti Unveils Smart Capsule: Revealing Minimalism
Isabel Marant Fall 2024: Layered, Eclectic Narratives
Tod’s Fall 2024: Textural Elegance, The Artisan’s Touch
Fear of God Fall 2024: American Symphony
Todd Snyder x Dehen: Crafted Classics, Heritage Hues
Burberry Pre-Fall 2024: The New British Classic Outdoors
Stone Island unveils monochrome Ghost pieces for your winter uniform
The outerwear, knits, and fleeces arrive in gray, black, and white.
Sometimes ghosting isn’t such a bad thing — at least when it comes to Stone Island. For this year’s fall and winter collection, the outdoor label has revived its Ghost line, a series of garments that reimagine army camouflage through a more utilitarian lens.
The Ghost pieces are meant to help you go through life as one, blending in with your surroundings and camouflaging into monochromaticity. Even the Stone Island badge blends in with the piece’s color. To create a full outfit, the collection consists of field jackets, military smocks, overshirts, Bermuda shorts, and pants.
Use protection — Most of the lineup is made from O-Ventile, a 100 percent organic cotton fabric. Thanks to a high-density weave and its ability to swell when wet, the fabric is water- and wind-resistant without the need for extra coating or lamination. It’s thick enough to resist the elements and endure wear and tear but also thin enough to allow adequate ventilation, with thermo-sealing tape adding an extra layer of protection.
Knits from the collection are sewn in cashmere for luxe softness and designed with a militaristic design perspective. The fleeces are made with heavy cotton, following the brand’s affinity for warmer tech in the colder months. Choose from cream, dark gray, or black color palettes with features including cargo pockets, high-neck collars and hoods, and a range of fabrics to match your vibe.
Ghosts of Stone Island’s past have included Supima canvas jackets and Lyocell satin trousers, among others. Even the campaign video looks a bit dystopian, but it’s sure to have the gorpcore aficionados salivating.
Prepare to shell out a pretty penny for the collection when it does release this year. Stone Island outerwear pieces are often priced into the thousands , and it’ll probably cost as much if you want to go ghost.
This is our website. Would you prefer to shop on our website? This is our website. You previously shopped on our website. Would you like to go to our website now?
Other country sites
My Wish List
- € EUR
You are here:
- Stone Island
- Stone Island Ghost Pieces
STONE ISLAND GHOST PIECES
Refine refine & sort, available products.
- Pay in 3, interest free
- Nothing to pay at check out
- Control how you pay and when
- Earn exclusive rewards
Representative APR: 39.9% (variable)
STONE ISLAND GHOST PIECE
$ 449.00 $ 349.00
Guaranteed Safe Checkout
Features & Compatibility
STONE ISLAND GHOST PIECE : Ghost pieces are based on the concept of camouflage and are totally monochromatic. Even their STONE ISLAND badge has been created in a special mono-color version to blend with the garment. Fatigue pants made of a double-weave cotton and wool gabardine.
There are no reviews yet.
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *
Your review *
Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment.
MICRO TWILL DOWN
OPAQUE NYLON TWILL DOWN
SOFT SHELL-R_E.DYE® TECHNOLOGY IN RECYCLED POLYESTER WITH PRIMALOFT® P.U.R.E™ INSULATION
STONE ISLAND GHOST PIECE GABARDINE DOPPIO
STONE ISLAND STELLINA_COMFORT TECH COMPOSITE POLARTEC® ALPHA® TECHNOLOGY
- Track Order
- Login / Register
Username or email address *
Lost your password? Remember me
No account yet?
- Bahasa Indonesia
- Science & Tech
- Russian Kitchen
5 Russian cities that have DISAPPEARED from the face of the earth
It was not very long ago that these settlements and towns, which were abandoned, flooded or destroyed in natural disasters, could still be found on the map of Russia. What is in their place now?
1. Mologa, Yaroslavl Region
The Afanasyevsky monastery in Mologa.
The ‘Russian Atlantis’, as this once prosperous trading town is often called, was flooded during the construction of the Rybinsk Reservoir in the 1940s.
The town of Mologa (270 km north of Moscow) dated back to the 12th century and was an important trading center in the Russian Empire, where large fairs were held. It was also home to the old Afanasyevsky monastery, which was built in the 15th century.
Before it was flooded, Mologa had a population of some 7,000. Their resettlement took about four years. Log houses were dismantled and transported down the river. Stone houses and tall buildings were demolished, so that they would not interfere with navigation.
Most of the former residents of Mologa resettled near the city of Rybinsk . A museum of the Mologa region has also opened there.
The area where Mologa was located.
Sometimes, the water level in the area where Mologa used to stand subsides and the ruins of its buildings rise above the surface. The flooded city attracts many tourists and divers, who go underwater to see the old streets and remains of old houses.
(Read more about the history of Mologa here )
2. Vesyegorsk, Tver Region
One of the central streets of Vesyegonsk. The photo was taken before 1916.
The town of Vesyegonsk (420 km north of Moscow) in the northern part of the Rybinsk Reservoir suffered the same fate as Mologa. It, too, was an old trading town with a shopping arcade, expensive houses and stone buildings. Before it was flooded, Vesyegonsk had a population of about 6,000. Its houses began to be dismantled in 1940 and the town was finally flooded in 1943. World War II was already under way and the town’s men had been drafted into the army. So all the resettlement work had to be done by women. Residents were resettled into collective farm lands to the south of the old town. The new settlement received the same name.
3. Tana, Rostov Region
The remains of an ancient Genoese gate in Azov.
On the outskirts of the present-day city of Azov in southern Russia, there is a street named after the Italian city of Genoa. There are also the remains of an ancient Genoese gate there, which was once part of a medieval fortress. In the 12th-14th centuries, the neighborhood of this site was part of the city of Tana, founded by Italian merchants. One part of it was populated by the Genoese and the other, by the Venetians, who were constantly in conflict with each other. This, however, did not prevent the city, which stood on the trade route from Moscow to Constantinople, from being a flourishing trading center. During the Golden Horde (mid-12th century) Tana (or Tan) passed to the Tatar-Mongols. The city witnessed numerous hostilities, but was rebuilt over and over again, until it fell in 1475 under a Turkish invasion.
The Azov fortress.
It was then that the Ottoman Empire founded the Azak fortress, which today is located in the center of the city of Azov.
4. Sarkel, Rostov Region
Sarkel. Aerial view from the Soviet excavations in the 1930s.
Sarkel (which means “white fortress” in the Khazar language) is an ancient city lost at the bottom of the Tsimlyansk Reservoir. It was built in the middle of the 9th century on the banks of the Don River in southern Russia as an outpost of the Khazar Khaganate, a nomadic state. Sarkel came under Russian rule in the year 965, but was defeated by the Polovtsy in the early 12th century. Its residents left the city, having dismantled part of the fortress walls to build their houses with its stones.
Tsimlyanskaya hydroelectric power station on the Don River.
In the 1930s, Soviet archaeologists excavated these places and found what remained of Sarkel. Traces of its walls, remains of towers, gates and defense lines were quite well preserved. Ancient artefacts and household items discovered by the archaeologists are now kept in museums across Russia, mainly in the Hermitage in St. Petersburg and in the museum of Novocherkassk. The Sarkel fortress went underwater during the construction of the Tsimlyansk Reservoir in 1952. Divers still find its ruins underwater.
5. Neftegorsk, Sakhalin Region
Neftegorsk after the earthquake.
This settlement on the island of Sakhalin was destroyed in one of the worst earthquakes in Russian history. It happened in the early hours on May 28, 1995, and destroyed Neftegorsk in a matter of 17 seconds, killing 2,040 of its 3,197 residents. According to eyewitness accounts, houses in Neftegorsk simply crumbled, turning into dust. “When I opened my eyes, I realized that I was lying with my head on a board under a piece of roofing material,” recalls Tatyana Mironova, who was 10 at the time. “When I came around again, I heard people’s cries, the crackling sound of burning boards and the voice of my 14-year-old brother, whom I could see in a gap between the boards. I don’t remember how we all got out from under the rubble, but we all survived. We must have been born under a lucky star.”
The monument to the victims of the earthquake. Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk.
The survivors were relocated to other population centers on Sakhalin, mainly the city of Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk. All that remains on the site where Neftegorsk once stood is a memorial with the names of the victims of the earthquake.
If using any of Russia Beyond's content, partly or in full, always provide an active hyperlink to the original material.
to our newsletter!
Get the week's best stories straight to your inbox
- What is life like in a town where one in eight residents are artists?
- The 10 youngest towns in Russia
- 5 extinct ethnic groups that used to live in Russia
- COMPLIMENTARY STANDARD SHIPPING COMPLIMENTARY STANDARD SHIPPING
- Shop in: United States
- Store Locator
Pick up and Return in Store
Coats - jackets.
- COATS - JACKETS
- POLO SHIRTS - T-SHIRTS
- 50 FILI QUILTED-TC + SELECTED PRODUCTS
- COLOUR STORIES: LOBSTER RED
- AUTUMN VIBES
- COLOUR STORIES: STUCCO
Filter and sort
- Latest Arrivals
- Ascending Price
- Descending Price
- LIGHTWEIGHT JACKETS
- LONG JACKETS
- All categories
List of items;
- S size not available
- M size not available
- L size not available
- XL size not available
- Black 71321 OPAQUE NYLON TWILL DOWN Selected color: Black
- Blue 71321 OPAQUE NYLON TWILL DOWN Selected color: Blue
- Lobster Red 71321 OPAQUE NYLON TWILL DOWN Selected color: Lobster Red
- Olive Green 71321 OPAQUE NYLON TWILL DOWN Selected color: Olive Green
- XXL size not available
- Blue 42521 OPAQUE NYLON TWILL DOWN Selected color: Blue
- Black 42521 OPAQUE NYLON TWILL DOWN Selected color: Black
- Dark Burgundy 42521 OPAQUE NYLON TWILL DOWN Selected color: Dark Burgundy
- Sage Green 70323 GARMENT DYED CRINKLE REPS RECYCLED NYLON DOWN Selected color: Sage Green
- Stucco 70323 GARMENT DYED CRINKLE REPS RECYCLED NYLON DOWN Selected color: Stucco
- Black 70323 GARMENT DYED CRINKLE REPS RECYCLED NYLON DOWN Selected color: Black
- 3XL size not available
- Blue 40623 GARMENT DYED CRINKLE REPS RECYCLED NYLON DOWN Selected color: Blue
- Lavender 40623 GARMENT DYED CRINKLE REPS RECYCLED NYLON DOWN Selected color: Lavender
- Sky Blue 40623 GARMENT DYED CRINKLE REPS RECYCLED NYLON DOWN Selected color: Sky Blue
- Lead 40623 GARMENT DYED CRINKLE REPS RECYCLED NYLON DOWN Selected color: Lead
- Sage Green 40623 GARMENT DYED CRINKLE REPS RECYCLED NYLON DOWN Selected color: Sage Green
- Black 40723 GARMENT DYED CRINKLE REPS RECYCLED NYLON DOWN Selected color: Black
- Blue 40723 GARMENT DYED CRINKLE REPS RECYCLED NYLON DOWN Selected color: Blue
- Rust 40723 GARMENT DYED CRINKLE REPS RECYCLED NYLON DOWN Selected color: Rust
- Stucco 40723 GARMENT DYED CRINKLE REPS RECYCLED NYLON DOWN Selected color: Stucco
- Olive Green 40723 GARMENT DYED CRINKLE REPS RECYCLED NYLON DOWN Selected color: Olive Green
- Lead 40723 GARMENT DYED CRINKLE REPS RECYCLED NYLON DOWN Selected color: Lead
- Turquoise 40723 GARMENT DYED CRINKLE REPS RECYCLED NYLON DOWN Selected color: Turquoise
- Dark Burgundy 40723 GARMENT DYED CRINKLE REPS RECYCLED NYLON DOWN Selected color: Dark Burgundy
- Black G0423 GARMENT DYED CRINKLE REPS RECYCLED NYLON DOWN Selected color: Black
- Blue G0423 GARMENT DYED CRINKLE REPS RECYCLED NYLON DOWN Selected color: Blue
- Stucco G0423 GARMENT DYED CRINKLE REPS RECYCLED NYLON DOWN Selected color: Stucco
- Lobster Red G0423 GARMENT DYED CRINKLE REPS RECYCLED NYLON DOWN Selected color: Lobster Red
- Olive Green G0423 GARMENT DYED CRINKLE REPS RECYCLED NYLON DOWN Selected color: Olive Green
- Ultramarine Blue G0423 GARMENT DYED CRINKLE REPS RECYCLED NYLON DOWN Selected color: Ultramarine Blue
- Black 70449 DAVID-TC DOWN Selected color: Black
- Olive Green 70449 DAVID-TC DOWN Selected color: Olive Green
- Dark Burgundy 70449 DAVID-TC DOWN Selected color: Dark Burgundy
- Black 41449 DAVID-TC Selected color: Black
- Stucco 41449 DAVID-TC Selected color: Stucco
- Chestnut Brown 41449 DAVID-TC Selected color: Chestnut Brown
- Sage Green 405G2 STONE ISLAND STELLINA_COMFORT TECH COMPOSITE POLARTEC® ALPHA® TECHNOLOGY Selected color: Sage Green
- Turquoise 43332 MACRO RIPSTOP NYLON METAL IN ECONYL® REGENERATED NYLON WITH PRIMALOFT®-TC Selected color: Turquoise
- Stucco 43332 MACRO RIPSTOP NYLON METAL IN ECONYL® REGENERATED NYLON WITH PRIMALOFT®-TC Selected color: Stucco
- Ecru 70133 50 FILI QUILTED-TC Selected color: Ecru
- Black 70133 50 FILI QUILTED-TC Selected color: Black
- Lead 404G1 STONE ISLAND STELLINA 3L NYLON Selected color: Lead
- Dark Beige G08F1 STONE ISLAND GHOST PIECE_O-VENTILE® DOWN Selected color: Dark Beige
- Olive Green 71432 MACRO RIPSTOP NYLON METAL IN ECONYL® REGENERATED NYLON DOWN-TC Selected color: Olive Green
- Black 71432 MACRO RIPSTOP NYLON METAL IN ECONYL® REGENERATED NYLON DOWN-TC Selected color: Black
- Ultramarine Blue 71432 MACRO RIPSTOP NYLON METAL IN ECONYL® REGENERATED NYLON DOWN-TC Selected color: Ultramarine Blue
- Blue 70826 MICRO TWILL DOWN Selected color: Blue
- Ecru 00197 SUEDE SHEEPSKIN Selected color: Ecru
- Stucco 436X1 STONE ISLAND MARINA_RIPSTOP COVER Selected color: Stucco
- Blue 436X1 STONE ISLAND MARINA_RIPSTOP COVER Selected color: Blue
- Stucco 702G1 STONE ISLAND STELLINA_3L NYLON Selected color: Stucco
- Dark Beige 709F1 STONE ISLAND GHOST PIECE_O-VENTILE® Selected color: Dark Beige
- Stucco 42819 NYLON METAL IN ECONYL® REGENERATED NYLON WITH PRIMALOFT® TC Selected color: Stucco
- Black 42819 NYLON METAL IN ECONYL® REGENERATED NYLON WITH PRIMALOFT® TC Selected color: Black
- Olive Green 42819 NYLON METAL IN ECONYL® REGENERATED NYLON WITH PRIMALOFT® TC Selected color: Olive Green
- Black 42719 NYLON METAL IN ECONYL® REGENERATED NYLON DOWN_REVERSIBLE Selected color: Black
- Lead 42719 NYLON METAL IN ECONYL® REGENERATED NYLON DOWN_REVERSIBLE Selected color: Lead
- Dark Teal Green 42719 NYLON METAL IN ECONYL® REGENERATED NYLON DOWN_REVERSIBLE Selected color: Dark Teal Green
- Sky Blue 42719 NYLON METAL IN ECONYL® REGENERATED NYLON DOWN_REVERSIBLE Selected color: Sky Blue
- Stucco 42719 NYLON METAL IN ECONYL® REGENERATED NYLON DOWN_REVERSIBLE Selected color: Stucco
- Sage Green 42719 NYLON METAL IN ECONYL® REGENERATED NYLON DOWN_REVERSIBLE Selected color: Sage Green
- Marine Blue 43930 PANNO SPECIALE WITH PRIMALOFT® INSULATION TECHNOLOGY + SHETLAND KNIT Selected color: Marine Blue
- Lobster Red 43728 SEAMLESS TUNNEL NYLON DOWN-TC Selected color: Lobster Red
- Blue 710F1 STONE ISLAND GHOST PIECE_O-VENTILE® WITH PRIMALOFT INSULATION TECHNOLOGY Selected color: Blue
- Black 710F1 STONE ISLAND GHOST PIECE_O-VENTILE® WITH PRIMALOFT INSULATION TECHNOLOGY Selected color: Black
Search field where you can type the word you want to search to see the related products and possible suggestions
Label ultimi avvisi
Highly perfected clothes designed for all of life's needs..
HEATTECH Ultra Warm Crew Neck T-Shirts
Get deals on the warmest heattech in history, for a limited time only..
Limited-Time Offer until 2/1
Ultra Light Down Parkas
Lighweight and packable with its own carrying pouch to stay wawm on the go..
LifeWear Collection 2024 Spring/Summer
Soft colors with natural fabrics for functional comfort to lighten your everyday..
Spring Knit Collection
Back in stock shop no-itch spring sweaters in seasonal colors for every style..
U Crew Neck Short-Sleeve T-Shirts
Fabric with character and texture that gets softer with every wear..
Crew Neck Sweatshirts
Crafted with threads that create a beautifully textured exterior and a soft, smooth interior..
Spring Outerwear Collection
Check out our lineup of quality jackets and coats to take you seamlessly into spring..
Wide-Fit Pleated Pants
Save on top-rated pants cut with a streamlined waist for a refined style..
Online + App-Only Offer until 2/1
Check out our lineup of high-quality jeans in a wide variety of looks to suit your style..
Sport Utility Wear
The comfort and functionality you need to move how you want whenever you want..
Arriving 2/22 UNIQLO : C 2024 Spring Collection
Clare waight keller brings sophistication to high-quality daily essentials..
Lighweight and packable with its own carrying pouch to stay warm on the go.
U Cotton AIRism Oversized Crew Neck T-Shirts
The perfect balance of soft cotton and quick-drying, smooth airism..
Sweat Pullover Hoodies
Designed with a hood crafted from double- faced fabric for a full 3-dimensional shape..
Super Non-Iron Slim-Fit Shirts
Get limited-time deals on classic shirts, no ironing required..
Check out our lineup of colorful, quality jackets and coats to take you seamlessly into spring.
Ultra Stretch Sweatshirts
Soft, stretchy sweatshirts for easy movement..
Shop perfectly pairable pants little ones love to wear..
PUFFTECH Warm Padded Parkas
A warm alternative to down that's machine-washable for easy care..
Mickey The One And Only
A collection of disney characters inspired by on-trend nostalgic fashions..
Clothes and accessories for growing babies up to 5-years-old..
Clothes and accessories for 3 to 24-month-old babies..
Clothes and accessories for newborn babies up to 3-months-old..
Standing at 450m (1,500ft) tall, the $4bn (£2bn) Crystal Tower, or 'Christmas tree', of Moscow will be one of t
Architects and Designers
Foster + Partners
Standing at 450m (1,500ft) tall, the $4bn (£2bn) Crystal Tower, or ‘Christmas tree’, of Moscow will be one of the tallest buildings in the world. The structure will be located on the Nagatinskaya alluvial plain which sticks out into the south region of the Moscow river, near to Andropov Avenue, about 7.5km away from the Kremlin.
Crystal Tower received planning permission from Moscow’s public and architectural council in December 2007 and will be completed by 2012. It is London-based Foster + Partners’ first large-scale project in Moscow and also Foster’s third design in a tent, or tepee, shape, including a giant transparent tent in the Kazakhstan capital, Astana.
Recommended White Papers
Vals quartzite: applications for floor, bathroom and wall, recommended buyers guides.
Stone and marble solutions for the architecture industry
Glass solutions for the architecture industry.
Covering 2.5 million square metres (27 million square feet) or the equivalent of about 240 Eiffel Towers, the massive building will be one of the largest enclosed spaces ever built.
CRYSTAL TOWER CONTENTS
Crystal Tower contains 900 flats, of between 80m² and 140m², totalling 265,000m² which house up to 30,000 occupants. There are 3,000 hotel rooms – 12m² to 80m², totalling 245,000m², a sports centre, 75,000m² of offices, a museum and two observation decks.
There will also be entertainment facilities in the form of an IMAX cinema and theatres, a commercial centre, and a 16,500-space underground car park with a floor-to-floor height of 4m.
Retail, catering and entertainment areas take up 160,000m², while the museum and IMAX cover 100,000m². Theatres have between 750 and 1,500 seats, and total 95,000m². The total area above ground is 1,100,000m² and the total above 150m high is 3,000m².The total area below ground is 1,400,000m².
The triangulated steel frame is 701m in diameter – twice as wide as the Millennium Dome, and has a glass façade which imitates cut crystal.
The Crystal Tower has panoramic views over the city of Moscow from a viewing platform 300m (980ft) above the ground, and another platform at 150m (480ft). One observation deck is 3,000m², while another is 6,000m². The perimeter building height is 20m and a 300m glass and steel needle almost 500m high tops the building. The tower will be illuminated at night as landmark visible from the nearby river and further inland.
The island’s landscaped grounds around the building are laid out to echo the tower’s geometry, with paths spiralling out in a curvilinear design. The landscape also incorporates an ice rink and cross-country skiing during the winter months and an international school for 500 students.
A series of winter gardens around the base of the Crystal Tower have been cut away into terraces, and help to shield the building from winds and climatic conditions. A vertical louvre system adds privacy for the offices.
The superstructure provides a ‘second skin’ and provides a breathable skin for the inner layers. The project is eco-efficient with solar power generated from moveable panels on the façade, and wind turbines producing electricity for the tower.
Enclosure panels on the sides of the tower can be opened during the summer or closed in the winter to regulate the environment, and large atriums allow cool air to circulate. One 500ft-high atrium can be opened to the air in warmer weather. Sustainability is a key feature, with low-carbon and renewable energy schemes in action.
The glass façade gives the building a crystalline appearance, which may well weather with exposure to dense heavy metals from nearby factories.
There are also worries that the tower’s location to UNESCO-protected churches will adversely affect their historical value. Jersey-based Russian Land Ltd, formerly the STT group, will work on the construction.
Norman Foster said: “Crystal Island is a paradigm of compact, mixed-use, sustainable city planning, with an innovative energy strategy and ‘smart’ skin which buffers against climate extremes.” The building has been likened to a Christmas tree and the Tower of Babel with its city-within-a-city concept.
Other inspirations include Vladimir Tatlin’s Monument to the Third International, which was built as a tribute to the Communist Revolution. It’s intended to stand as an emblem to Russia’s growing prosperity, which is experiencing a building boom.
Foster + Partners have recently designed Beijing’s new international airport and Foster is also helping to design the Russia Tower, also in Moscow, which will tower 2,000ft above the skyline on its completion in 2012.
Surat Diamond Bourse, Gujarat, India
8 shenton way, singapore, solaris fusionopolis, wembley stadium, london, sign up for our daily news round-up.
Give your business an edge with our leading industry insights.
Sign up to the newsletter
Your corporate email address.
Newsletter: In Brief
Thank you for subscribing
View all newsletters from across the GlobalData Media network.